ohhhhh my god
Nineteen things I’ve learned before I turned nineteen.
1. Always carry $5 and a lighter with you (even if you don’t smoke).
2. Ask every person you meet how their day is going. Genuinely ask with the soul intention of learning how their day is. Ask the coffee shop employee. Ask the person next to you in line at Walmart. Ask your distant friend. Ask everyone.
3. Take many photos of yourself. Take photos of yourself when you’re happy. Take photos of yourself when you’re sad. Take photos of yourself because there are millions of trees in the world, and we all look at the same sky, but there is only one of you.
4. Stay in contact with your parents. Try not to hate them. They are the reason you have the ability to feel anything at all. Try not to hate your parents.
5. Opening your skin will not set your demons free. Open your heart. Open your mind. Open your hands.
6. Nobody knows anybody completely. That’s okay.
7. Be gentle, but be aggressive. Take a stand. Nobody hears your voice if you stay silent.
8. Respect everybody. We are all humans trying to survive. We all deserve respect.
9. Wearing black will ALWAYS make you feel better about yourself.
10. Always give tips, whether it be a couple extra dollars or a piece of mind. You never know how much you could be helping someone.
11. Change is the only thing consistent in life. Do not allow that bother you. Embrace chance and move with life, whichever direction it chooses to take you.
12. Smile often. Smile at strangers. Smile at your friends. Smile when nobody is looking and you’re alone in your bedroom. Smile when somebody is rambling to you.
13. Body image means nothing. Your body is merely just a seatbelt in the car. Your body is here to protect you. You choose the direction you go, and your body will not hold you back. Only you can hold yourself back.
14. Don’t hold grudges. Don’t allow yourself to hate anybody. Forgive them. Learn to love them for the person you never got to see them to be. Believe that a beautiful human exists in that person. Wish them well.
15. Drink orange juice. Lot’s of it.
16. Don’t allow the opinions of others to choose your destiny. We are all simply trying to live our own life.
17. Sing all the time. Sing off key. Sing in a silly voice. Sing like you’re on stage. Sing no matter who is around. Singing is breathing for the soul. Sing.
18. Take time to think. Write your feelings down. Write letters to the people you love. Texting is overrated and not as heartfelt as a nice handwritten letter.
19. Live for yourself. Breathe for yourself. Do everything in your life for nobody but you. This is your life. This is it.
Katey Chrest (via thinly)
ROP THAT BASS SKRILLEX,” yelled the police officer. sneering, sonny pushed open the door to the roof, tripping the emergency alarm. the officer followed closely after as it blared, squinting as the cold night air hit without mercy.
"you don’t want to do this," he yelled, leveling his gun. skrillex was at the edge now, leaning over the railing. with a slow throaty chuckle he turned around.
"don’t i, officer?" he smirked, the full moon gleaming off of his glasses. he clutched his prize closer to his chest.
"no you don’t. step away from the railing. we can talk about this." he clicked the safety off.
suddenly skrillex burst into motion, hopping over the railing and disappearing over the edge.
"NO," yelled the officer as he rushed to where he was standing. leaning over he looked down, expecting the worst. skrillex was nowhere to be seen. down below, the citizens continued walking, unaware of what had happened high above. the alarm had stopped blaring.
sighing, he reached for radio comm. “dispatch this is 2129.”
the radio crackled as the answer was pushed through. “did he get it?”
the officer grinned. “he got it.” he heard the cheers over the radio.
"i still don’t know how pulls off that disappearing act every time."
"who cares?" answered dispatch. "that asshole’s been stealing prize bass, tuna and salmon for months now. at least we finally have a lead."
"you think we would’ve thought about putting a tracker in the fish sooner," said the officer.
"well now we have. and he fell for it hook line and sinker."
People say to you, ‘you’ve changed’, or something like that, well, I hope, for the sake of God that you have changed, because I don’t want to be the same person all my life. I want to be growing, I want to be expanding. I want to be changing. Because animate things change, inanimate things don’t change. Dead things don’t change. And the heart should be alive, it should be changing, it should be moving, it should be growing, its knowledge should be expanding.
Shaykh Hamza Yusuf (via sahrana)
what doesn’t kill you leaves you lying awake at 2am wishing it had
A tired mind is an honest mind.